Touchstone™: Inpatient ModuleUses artificial intelligence (AI) to proactively identify where your organization is performing well and where it’s underperforming, and then recommends and prioritizes opportunities for improvement.
|Type:||Software Application||Status:||Limited Availability||Revised:||2018-Aug-14|
The Touchstone Software Application aggregates data from across healthcare organizations. The Touchstone benchmarking service uses risk-adjusted benchmarks and predictive models to intelligently direct users as they prioritize improvement opportunities and explore the root causes of under- (and over-) performance in key areas.
Metric dashboard of organizational benchmark comparisons.
Background & Problem Summary
Benchmarks play a vital role in helping identify improvement opportunities. Benchmarking is typically separate from other analytics, thus analysts have to manually review thousands of benchmarks to determine the most promising opportunities, with little ability to understand the drivers of performance.
Touchstone uses machine learning to help organizations identify and prioritize opportunities and gain insight into the drivers of their outcomes.
Uses artificial intelligence (AI) to proactively identify where your organization is performing well and where it’s underperforming, and then recommends and prioritizes opportunities for improvement.
The Touchstone analytics application is the next generation in benchmarking, opportunity analysis, and prioritization. Unlike antiquated benchmarking technologies with a narrow focus on the inpatient setting, Touchstone focuses on the full continuum of care—and surfaces machine learning-powered recommendations in an intelligent user interface.
Benefits and Features
Leverage the power of AI
- AI-powered opportunity analysis - Machine learning algorithms reveal improvement opportunities hidden in EMR, clinical, cost accounting, and claims data.
- Seamless data extraction - Data extraction software pulls directly from the data warehouse, eliminating the manual file creation burden that’s common with other antiquated benchmarking technologies.
- Democratized benchmarking - Intuitive user interface makes benchmarking available to as many people in the health system who want to use it.
Continuous Improvement and Insight
- Proactively recommends opportunities for improvement - Uses AI to proactively recommend, quantify, and prioritize improvement opportunities. Users no longer have to sift through hundreds of benchmarks to find opportunities. Like Netflix, recommendations improve over time based on user interest (e.g., surgical services, labor and delivery, etc.).
- Offers intelligent direction - Intelligent, intuitive user interface makes it quick and easy for users to explore the factors behind each improvement opportunity.
- Focuses on the full continuum of care - Includes risk-adjusted benchmarks for the full continuum of care using the most granular and detailed data possible.
- Clinical/Quality Data Analyst
- Population Health / ACO Data Analyst
- Program Director
- Chief Population Health Officer
A Program Manager in the surgical department of Promontory Hospital turns to Touchstone to look for opportunities to improve on cost and outcomes. Touchstone recommends that there may be an opportunity to improve their mortality rate for Touchstone procedures, which is 90% higher than the risk-adjusted benchmark would expect. After drilling into the data, she identifies that three physicians' cases are driving the majority of the higher than expected mortality rates. She also notes that the highest variable direct cost of supplies is correlated with these higher than expected mortality rates. She deploys a clinical analyst to investigate the specific drivers of the cost differential, positing that if there are discrepancies in the way these three providers deliver care they could be rectified to reduce overall mortality and cost.
A population health analyst wants to understand how to improve the ACO’s performance. Touchstone recommends an opportunity to reduce inpatient utilization in the diabetic population attributed to the organization’s Medicare MSSP contract. After drilling into the application’s “explore” tab, the analyst discovers that high inpatient utilization is being driven by patients attributed to five primary care providers who have visit utilization rates 80 percent lower than the risk-adjusted benchmark. The analyst recommends scheduling the physicians’ patients for wellness visits.
A health plan analyst looking for opportunities to improve benefit design is directed by Touchstone to an orthopedics doctor who performs knee replacements that are 20 percent less expensive than the benchmark, with a readmission rate that is 15 percent lower. The following year, the plan augments its benefit design to drive more volume to the high-performing doctor
This product may leverage one or more of the following sources:
|Primary:||Other Health Catalyst Source||See data sources of this type|
|Secondary:||Other Sources||See data sources of this type|
Additional Data Source Information
- Aggregated data from client EDWs (clinical/EMR, claims)
- External data sources and benchmarks (government, other third party sources)
NOTE: Clients must be contributing and sharing their data for benchmarking purposes. Clients who decline to contribute will only have access to public data sources.
- Web Browser
Organizational performance to risk-adjusted benchmarks to the following metrics:
- Length of Stay (LOS)
- Variable direct cost (supplies, labor, drugs, etc.)
Population Health module:
- Length of Stay (LOS)
- Discover areas of excellence within your health system compared to national benchmarks
- Identify Health Systems with elite cardiology programs and connect with leadership from that organization
Clinical and financial outcome improvements:
- Reduce mortality rate
- Reduce length of stay
- Reduce readmissions
- Lower costs: variable direct cost, PMPM
- Improve utilization PKPY
Product Line LeaderDorian DiNardo
Knowledge DeveloperKirstin Scott, Heather Bloyer
Knowledge and ContentSoftware Application
- Quick Guide
Additional Screen Shots