TouchstoneAccess intelligent guidance for prioritizing improvement opportunities and identifying the factors driving under- and over-performance
|Type:||Software Application||Status:||In-Development Deployable||Revised:||2018-Jan-29|
|Team:||Operations & Performance Management||Version:||Beta|
Built on the CAFE platform, which aggregates data from across healthcare organizations, the Touchstone benchmarking service uses risk-adjusted benchmarks and predictive models to intelligently direct users as they prioritize improvement opportunities and explore the root causes of under- (and over-) performance in key areas.
NOTE: For full functionality, a client must be contributing and sharing their data which will be aggregated with other Health Catalyst clients for benchmarking and comparison purposes. Clients who decline to contribute their data will only have access to CMS and other public data sources, which is referred to as TouchStone-Public.
|Primary:||Other Health Catalyst Source||See data sources of this type|
|Primary:||Other Sources||See data sources of this type|
Additional Data Sources Information
- Aggregated data from client EDWs (clinical/EMR, claims)
- External data sources and benchmarks (government, other third party sources)
Organizational performance to risk-adjusted benchmarks to the following metrics:
- Length of Stay (LOS)
- Variable direct cost (supplies, labor, drugs, etc.)
Population Health module:
- Length of Stay (LOS)
Features & Benefits
- Risk-adjusted benchmarking shows your organization's performance data in context, at the point of decision-making
- Intelligent direction guides users to data and analyses of greatest relevance to their work and to the organization's goals
- Ranked list of improvement opportunities to help users prioritize initiatives
- Detailed analytics provide dynamic data exploration, real-time filtering, and drill-down to help users explore the factors driving performance issues
Product OwnerAaron Neiderhiser
Product ManagerDorian DiNardo
Knowledge DeveloperKirstin Scott, Heather Bloyer
Background & Problem Summary
Benchmarks play a vital role in helping organizations identify improvement opportunities. The problem? Benchmarking is typically separate from other analytics. This means that analysts have to manually review thousands of benchmarks to determine the most promising opportunities—and that when they locate them, they have little ability to understand the drivers of the organization's performance.
Touchstone uses machine learning to sift through the data, helping organizations identify and prioritize improvement opportunities and gain insight into the drivers of their performance outcomes.
- Clinical/Quality Data Analyst
- Population Health / ACO Data Analyst
- Program Director
- Chief Population Health Officer
- Healthcare Executive
A Program Manager in the surgical department of Promontory Hospital turns to Touchstone to look for opportunities to improve on cost and outcomes. Touchstone recommends that there may be an opportunity to improve their mortality rate for Touchstone procedures, which is 90% higher than the risk-adjusted benchmark would expect. After drilling into the data, she identifies that three physicians' cases are driving the majority of the higher than expected mortality rates. She also notes that the highest variable direct cost of supplies is correlated with these higher than expected mortality rates. She deploys a clinical analyst to investigate the specific drivers of the cost differential, positing that if there are discrepancies in the way these three providers deliver care they could be rectified to reduce overall mortality and cost.
Population Health Module:
A Population Health Analyst wants to bring insight into ways to improve her ACO’s performance to her system's strategic planning session, so she turns to Touchstone. The system recommends that there is opportunity to reduce inpatient utilization in the diabetic population attributed to their Medicare MSSP contract. After moving through the prioritize and explore tabs the analyst learns that the inpatient utilization is being driven by patients attributed to five primary care providers with 80% lower primary care visit utilization than the risk-adjusted benchmark. The analyst recommends reaching out to those patients and scheduling them for wellness visits.
A Health Plan Analyst, while looking for opportunities to improve benefit design, is directed to an orthopedics doctor who performs knee replacements at 20% lower cost than benchmark.with a 15% better than benchmark readmission rate. The following year, they augment their benefit design to drive more volume to this high performing doctor.
Population Health Module:
- Identify highest-performing Primary Care Physicians in your network
- Identify populations based on chronic conditions whose care can be improved based on cost and quality benchmarks
- Compare your health plan's performance to similar plans across your region and the nation
- Discover areas of excellence within your health system compared to national benchmarks
- Identify Health Systems with elite cardiology programs and connect with leadership from that organization
Clinical and financial outcome improvements:
- Reduce mortality rate
- Reduce length of stay
- Reduce readmissions
- Lower costs: variable direct cost, PMPM
- Improve utilization PKPY
Sales PresentationTouchstone (previously CAFE) Sales Presentation
Additional Screen ShotsTop
Shared Data Marts
- Shared Person
- Shared Claims
- Shared Clinical
- Shared Cost
Knowledge & Content
- Quick Guide