Patient Experience ExplorerAccess robust insight to improve patient experience
|Type:||Analytics Accelerator||Status:||Custom Services||Revised:||2019-Jun-11|
The Patient Experience Analytics Accelerator delivers multiple views into the data that patients provide about their healthcare experience—supporting teams in their effort to understand and improve patient safety, comfort, education and other aspects of care.
Patient Experience Explorer helps organizations see, understand, and improve their performance against patient experience targets.
Background & Problem Summary
Patient experience surveys are an integral part of the healthcare industry’s transition to value-based care. However, organizations often struggle to hit patient experience targets for these reasons:
- Efforts to measure and report patient satisfaction are hampered by complex manual processes. Manually compiling and disseminating patient satisfaction data across the organization can be time consuming and labor intensive.
- Vendor survey data falls short of illuminating root cause or providing data needed for comparative analysis with clinical outcomes. Any comparative analysis would be a manual process.
The implications of poor patient experience may include missing out on CMS value-based purchasing bonuses and problems with patient retention.
Access robust insight to improve patient experience
The Patient Experience Explorer delivers multiple views into the data patients provide about their healthcare experience. This application delivers the summary performance scores for executive leaders, survey results with goals and percentiles for unit managers, and survey details for individual providers. Both summary and detail data are linked to clinical indicators to provide context and depth for more meaningful information about various aspects of patient care.
Benefits and Features
- Collect, display, and explore data from multiple patient survey types, and at various levels of granularity. Patient Experience Explorer provides an overview of the surveys used, scores generated, and trends detected. Users are able to explore patient responses per survey sections and questions, by hospital unit, clinical program, location, and provider. They can also filter for questions related to CMS HCAHPS scores, review results based on priority questions identified for your system, and gauge performance against organization goals.
- Enrich survey data by linking it to other operational or clinical indicators. Leveraging the Health Catalyst Data Operating System (DOS), organizations can add other key indicators—e.g., clinical and demographic data in the data warehouse—to the survey results to support a more complete understanding of the issues impacting a patient’s care experience.
- Quickly access preferred views. Different users within your organization have different information needs; the application allows users to bookmark their preferred view of the patient survey data for easy access, minimizing the need for custom reporting.
- Chief Medical Officer
- Chief Operations Officer
- Clinical and operational directors
- Unit managers
- Clinical and operational improvement teams
An administrator for a hospital system uses the application to review patient satisfaction and design interventions to improve performance against this measure. Looking at the summary tab, he notices that the satisfaction scores associated with discharge information have dropped in recent weeks. What specific questions are generating lower scores? What clinical program or facility is seeing the most decline in satisfaction? On other tabs of the application, the administrator is able to explore by these variables—and then to look for associations between responses and patient information to uncover additional insight to guide improvement efforts.
This product may leverage one or more of the following sources:
|Primary:||Patient Satisfaction||See data sources of this type|
|Secondary:||EMR - Clinical||See data sources of this type|
For both inpatient and outpatient settings:
- Overall and per question satisfaction rating
- Ratings per unit/department
- Ratings per key patient characteristics: cohorts, comorbidities, or other clinical/demographics data available in the EDW
- How One Hospital Embraced Patient Satisfaction Transparency
- Automating and Integrating Patient Satisfaction Data to Achieve IHI Triple Aim Goal