Dept. Explorer: Surgical ServicesMultiple views of operational, financial, and utilization data—serving up insight for improvement of perioperative processes
|Type:||Analytic Accelerator||Status:||Analytic Services||Revised:||2019-May-07|
The Department Explorer: Surgical Services Analytics Accelerator provides multiple views of data pertaining to the operational efficiency, utilization, and financial performance of the operating room (OR). By surfacing data in the context of specific OR process paths, the application enables deep analysis and meaningful insight that can be leveraged to save costs, improve utilization, and speed throughput.
Note that this application, like all Health Catalyst analytic accelerators, is implemented in a custom way; organizations identify their own areas of focus, process aims, and outcome goals. For this reason, the appearance and functionality of the application may differ from what is presented here.
Department Explorer: Surgical Services delivers insights to improve the efficiency of your perioperative processes.
Background & Problem Summary
Organizations who choose to implement Department Explorer: Surgical Services often do so in response to these pressures:
- Need to support profitability. Historically, preop, operating rooms, and PACU have been areas of profitability, but reimbursement changes and other financial pressures stress the need to improve operating room efficiency and resource allocation.
- Need to facilitate analysis of OR data. A common difficulty in analyzing surgical services operations is ensuring that metrics align with goals. Highlighting surgical services data facilitates analysis of unique operating room process paths.
Multiple views of operational, financial, and utilization data—serving up insight for improvement of perioperative processes
Department Explorer: Surgical Services presents OR data separate from that of other hospital functions, giving users visibility into patient prep, anesthesia prep, room turnaround, room and staff scheduling, and procedure data. This yields insight into improvement opportunities that may contribute to outcomes such as growth in surgical cases, quicker surgical throughput, fewer OR minutes lost to delays, and increased efficiency of block-time utilization.
Benefits and Features
- Access easy-to-consume, OR-specific data at the granularity you need. The application provides a summary view—with detail drill-down capabilities—of metrics that reflect operational efficiency. The result? You can quickly and easily identify areas to improve.
- Identify and understand trends and variation. Tracking and trending historical volume, procedure, and scheduling data provide actionable information for identification of best practice as it relates to scheduling, block-time utilization, and resource consumption. The application also allows for provider-level case comparison by procedure to further inform improvement efforts.
- Perioperative service line leadership and teams
- Chief Operations Officer
- Chief Medical Officer
- Chief Nursing Officer
- Chief Quality Officer
- Chief Patient Safety Officer
- The Administrative Director of Surgical Services wants to increase the percentage of surgical first case, on-time starts. She uses the application to review first starts and to gauge the impact of late starts on resources; this helps her build a business case for work in this area. Next she and a small work team use the app to discover and prioritize the root causes of late starts (e.g., delayed surgeon, patient not ready, room/supplies not ready), and after interventions to address these causes begin, the team uses the app to track progress.
- The Surgical Chief of Staff assembles a small team to find ways to speed OR room turnover. Using the app, they set appropriate targets for turnover based on comparison with best practices. After education and the roll out of the improvement initiative, the team uses the application to monitor staff performance in this area and scan for additional opportunities to improve efficiency.
This product may leverage one or more of the following sources:
|Primary:||EMR - Clinical||See data sources of this type|
|Secondary:||Finance/Costing||See data sources of this type|
|Tertiary:||Patient Satisfaction||See data sources of this type|
Additional Data Source Information
- Perioperative/OR/Anesthesia Information Systems
- Scheduling Information System
- Throughput times (e.g., turnaround, first case on-time starts)
- Scheduling (e.g., block utilization, room utilization)
- Efficiency comparatives (e.g., performance vs. expectation for start times, case times, turnaround times)
- Data-Driven Operations Leverage Timely Data to Triple the Number of First Cases Starting on Time
- Operating Room Excellence: How One Hospital System is Driving Improvements with the Use of Advanced Analytics